Thursday, March 24, 2005

Selling & Sales: The Anatomy of Failure

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away". ~unknown.

Failed in Business - Bankruptcy, 1831
Defeated for Legislature, 1832
Sweetheart/Fiancee Dies, 1835
Nervous Breakdown, 1836
Defeated in Election, 1836
Defeated for U.S. Congress, 1843
Defeated again for U.S. Congress, 1846
Defeated once again for U.S. Congress, 1848
Defeated for U.S. Senate, 1855Defeated for U.S. Vice President, 1856
Defeated again for U.S. Senate, 1858

ABRAHAM LINCOLN...............Elected President of the U.S.A., 1861

There is NO job to compare with selling for the sheer amount of rejection that is built into it. No other occupation even remotely comes close.

If you are failing with what you are saying and doing in your selling or in your work at the moment, TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT!
Sounds obvious, but most sellers, in the light of failure, continue to do more of the same and fail more as a result....this stupidity is reinforced by sales managers....."Make more Calls"...."Push harder"....."Offer him another two percent off the price"....(Dear Lord, get me away from this please, I'm begging you). Quality not Quantity, is the solution you're looking for.

My advice:
Say something different!..."Like what?", you ask. Some suggestions:

1 Put your ego in your pocket. That's where the problem is...you believe you know everything, or you think asking for help is a sign of failure. No Virginia, NOT asking for help is a sign of stupidity.
2 Go find three -four top sellers ( business sector doesn't matter) and ask them what they say to create their business...adapt and duplicate their "scripts".
3 Go to your nearest bookshop and purchase the first book on Selling Skills you meet. I'll bet there are several ideas in there to stimulate your thinking.
4 Visit http://www.greatexpectationscoaching.com. I know there are dozens of interesting selling skills tips there.
5 Download Skype from www.skype.com and talk to me...and the rest of the world.......free of charge. The sound quality is brilliant and you can tap into endless resources...you will need a mic on your computer. My user name is : maitiu. If I'm in the office we'll talk and I'll guarantee you 4 -6 specific alternative approaches to your present (failing) one. Try me!
6 Trawl the web . There are millions of sites loaded with sales tips , articles, and selling methods..many of them cutting edge, and waiting to be tapped into.
7 Attend one of our excellent selling skills courses....;-))........see web site above. Been there?..........hmmmm........how can you remember anythng you learned on a course five years ago....and the selling life has moved on big time since.
8 Ring me!...the next time you are "down and troubled, and you need a helping hand", the next time you have "blown it". ....whoever you are and whatever it is about....I answer my calls live when I'm available and I'll return your call if I am not.....and I promise you will get value from the call. And I love talking to new people.
9 Pass this to at least one of your colleagues( or to them all). Why should you be the only one to benefit?......do your good deed for the day....someone there will appreciate it and get a helping hand....and it will keep me happy as well.......and that's worth an awful lot to you, as I always honour my sponsors -and my parachute packers.
10 If you have tried ALL of the above and things are still not improving, get a job that does not involve selling.....but only after you have given it everything, your best, your blood.

Ok, number Ten is only a bit of fun. It will never happen!

"Luck is not chance; it's toil. Fortune's expensive smile is earned.'"
Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)American poet

Health & Blessings until next time. ...and Happy Easter

Maitiu
http://www.greatexpectationscoaching.com
www.skype.com User: maitiu

Changing the World One Mind at a Time

1 Comments:

At 3:10 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

great stuff maithiu and this is my 1st ever blogg posting, thanks to you.

will also download skype this evening, now back to selling,

any suggestions on the 2 min cold call close script much apprecited.

niall
www.salesjobs.ie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home